Sign Up To Receive a Tip Every Tuesday in Your Inbox
Tip Tuesday – Shed Your Self-Storage Space!
In the US, one in ten homes has belongings in off-site storage units. In fact, the number of self-storage facilities (as of 2015) almost equals the number of Subway, McDonald’s and Starbucks locations in the US—combined! This adds up to a huge expense as storage units cost an average of $90 per month or $1080 a year!
Unless you are in a short-term transition, I would like to encourage you to empty that storage space by following these instructions:
Think about which items are so precious to you that you REALLY want to keep them and bring them home. Make sure you have cleared a space at home IN ADVANCE for these items, especially large furniture.
– Check the hours of the storage facility and any elevator/stairwell access.
– Does the storage facility have a bathroom? If not, where do you have to go?
– Check out the parking situation: how far is it from your unit
– Locate a place open to take donations near your storage unit.
– Plan where you will haul trash as dumpsters are normally not available.
– If you cannot clear the space entirely, check availability to see if you can “downsize” to a unit with smaller square footage in the facility.
– What the security situation is: don’t sort your things alone.
|Clear Packing Tape
|Clean Cardboard Boxes
|Snacks & Water
|Folding Table to Sort On
|Light (if inside) with Extension Cord
|Space Heater or Fan
|Small Tool Kit
– Will YOU and your helper take things out and keep/donate/discard them?
– Or will you HIRE a junk hauler to come once things are sorted to take it all away?
Be pleased that you:
– Cleared the space at last!
– Can save the money you are no longer spending on a storage unit!
– Can USE and enjoy the items you are keeping!
Let me know if you have a storage space, how long you have had it and if you are encouraged to clear it out. And join us in my fun FB Group for more ideas and inspiration!